Wednesday 2 July 2014

Obsidian Review

About the book:

Obsidian 

(Lux #1)

by 

Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.


(From Goodreads)
Wow. Wow. Wow. That is most definitely the first thing that comes to mind when I think about this book. I read this book in just over 24 hours and I am completely absorbed in the world of the Luxen and Daemon Black. Jennifer L. Armentrout created a phenomenal work of fiction that is so enticing and addicting at the same time.

The writing style is amazing to say the very least. The tempo was upbeat and filled with action, never a dull moment in the novel. The tension was so believable and made it almost impossible to set the book down. I plowed through the book with my mind constantly reeling and trying to take in every line and idea that the book pursued and laid out. Jennifer's writing style is raw and real, offering a direct pass into the mind of a teenage girl that is accurate and believable. Katy is written as witty, but very realistic, and reading through her perspective was fresh and easy to relate to for a teenage girl, such as myself.

The setting of the novel was beautiful, set in a West Virginia in a small town filled with woods and hidden (romantic) lakes. Daemon and Katy take many adventures in the novel and they seem to end up in the woods a lot. Indeed it is a tad cliche, I mean, hot guy takes shy girl to the woods, but Jennifer takes such a different twist on the entire idea. The landscape is beautifully described without becoming overwhelming and consuming. It is awful when a book loses your interest with page upon page of descriptions of leaves.

Onto the paranormal aspect of the novel, it is so different to say the very least. I mean, aliens? The thought of it is so odd and like Katy says, she just pictures little green men, not gorgeous light controllers. The world of the Luxen is well thought out and developed which is wonderful for a reader. I love paranormal stories, but if the world is confusing and makes no sense, then what is the point? Of course, there are plenty of questions left to be answered, which is expected and appreciated.

The relationships in Obsidian are also very believable and filled with so much tension... yes, that kind of tension. I spent so much time on the edge of my seat waiting for the love interests to finally get together and then it would be torn away by a harsh or witty comment, instead of the relationship just magically happening. The friendship between Dee and Katy is so cute and you can't help but love them, they start to become so close and their sisterly bond is so beautiful to read.

There are so many twists, unexpected and shocking, throughout the whole novel and you must go out and get it now! I am so impressed with my first Jennifer L. Armentrout read! Onyx here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment